The Lakewood Masonic Temple, Lakewood, Ohio The Lakewood Masonic Temple
15300 Detroit Avenue Lakewood, Ohio
A Lakewood Landmark Since 1916

 

CONTENTS
Contact Us
The Lakewood
Masonic Temple

  Find Us
  Virtual Tour
  Building Tours
  Community Use
  Hall Rentals
  Calendar
  Photo Gallery

  In The News
  History
  Temple Company
The Lakewood
Masonic Foundation
  About Us
  Donate
  Grants Made
  Newsletters
The Lakewood
Masonic Family

  Lakewood F&AM
  Clifton-Allen F&AM
  Cunningham RAM
  Lakewood R&SM
  Holy Grail KT
  Ann Rutledge OES
  Cleveland Beauceant
  Lakewood DeMolay
Links

History of the Lakewood Masonic Temple

In 1912 a building committee was appointed to select a suitable site and formulate proper plans for the construction of a Masonic Temple in Lakewood, Ohio.  The Lakewood Masonic Temple Company was incorporated, and nine Masons were appointed to serve on the first Board of Directors--William Bayne, Nelson C. Cotabish, Philip H. Keese, Daniel Loew, John M. Moyer, Richard B. Sanders, Carl W. Schaefer, Louis Weigand and Charles L. Wood.

The site for the new Temple at Detroit and Andrews Avenues was selected and approved in 1913.   James W. Chrisford, who later served as High Priest of Cunningham Chapter #187 Royal Arch Masons and Commander of Holy Grail Commandery #70 Knights Templar, was awarded the contract as architect and builder.  On April 3, 1915, ground was broken.  The cornerstone was laid on June 26, 1915, by Edwin S. Griffiths, Past Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Free & Accepted Masons of Ohio.

On September 30, 1916, the Temple was dedicated.  Lakewood Lodge #601 Free & Accepted Masons (chartered 1908) held the first meeting in the new Temple on October 2.  Other occupants at that time were Gaston G. Allen Lodge #629 Free & Accepted Masons (chartered 1914), Cunningham Chapter #187 Royal Arch Masons (chartered 1910) and Lincoln Chapter #309 Order of the Eastern Star (chartered 1909).

On May 30, 2015, a centennial stone was consecrated in a cornerstone laying ceremony conducted by Steven E. Cokonougher, Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Free & Accepted Masons of Ohio, to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the laying of the original cornerstone.

A number of community groups and events have started and met at the Temple over the years, including the Kiwanis Club of Lakewood (1921), West Shore Unitarian Universalist Church (1946), Lakewood Home Show (1965), West Shore Assembly of God (1977), and Lakewood New Life Church (2006).

Today this historic building is the home of Lakewood Lodge #601 Free & Accepted Masons, Clifton-Gaston Allen Lodge #664 Free & Accepted Masons, Cunningham Chapter #187 Royal Arch Masons, Lakewood Council #125 Royal & Select Masons, Holy Grail Commandery #70 Knights Templar, Ann Rutledge Chapter #453 Order of the Eastern Star, Cleveland Assembly #15 Social Order of Beauceant and Lakewood Chapter Order of DeMolay for boys as well as various community groups.

The Lakewood Masonic Temple remains to this day one of Lakewood's and America's historic treasures.

See also:
Lakewood's First Masonic Hall

Dedication Celebrations of the Lakewood Masonic Temple
50th Anniversary Celebration of the Lakewood Masonic Temple


City of Lakewood 2010 Historic Preservation Award Winner

Our Community Partnerships

Lakewood Alive - An Economic Development Corporation

Downtown Lakewood - An Ohio Main Street Program

Light Up Lakewood Lakewood Arts Festival Lakewood Charitable Assistance Corporation

2004-17 The Lakewood Masonic Foundation | Lakewood, Ohio 44107 | +1.216.521.1242 | Webmaster

Page Last Updated 12 September 2015