Ann Rutledge Chapter Home  Ann Rutledge Chapter #453
 Order of the Eastern Star of Ohio
  Stated Meetings First & Third Wednesdays 1:30 p.m.
  www.annrutledge453oes.org

 

CONTENTS
Contact Us
The Lakewood
Masonic Temple

  Find Us
  Virtual Tour
  Building Tours
  Community Use
  Hall Rentals
  Calendar
  Photo Gallery

  In The News
  History
  Temple Company
The Lakewood
Masonic Foundation
  About Us
  Donate
  Grants Made
  Newsletters
The Lakewood
Masonic Family

  Lakewood F&AM
  Clifton-Allen F&AM
  Cunningham RAM
  Lakewood R&SM
  Holy Grail KT
  Ann Rutledge OES
  Cleveland Beauceant
  Lakewood DeMolay
Links

 

Chapter Home | Chapter Calendar | Officers | History | Past Matrons & Patrons

Eastern Star in Lakewood, Ohio
A Brief History

At a meeting  of Past Matrons and Past Patrons of Lincoln Chapter #309, OES, it was suggested that an afternoon Chapter would be favorably received in Lakewood.  A meeting of interested brothers and sisters was called to discuss the idea, and Ann Rutledge Chapter #453 was the result of that meeting.  The name of Ann Rutledge was chosen because she was the first sweetheart of the martyred president.  On Wednesday afternoon August 31, 1921, Ann Rutledge Chapter was instituted by Worthy Grand Patron Harry J. Machle with Sister Emma V. Ingham, acting Grand Marshal.  The officers of Lincoln Chapter exemplified the initiatory work.

One hundred and thirty-seven members were received by initiation and affiliation up to October 24, 1921, and they became our charter members.  Forty-three signers of the charter responded on the day of institution, and the charter was granted on October 26, 1921.

In order to preserve the history of our Order in Lakewood, Ohio, it is appropriate to record here the history of the two other Eastern Star Chapters which have merged into Ann Rutledge Chapter.

Lincoln Chapter #309 was organized on the eve of the 100th Anniversary of the birth of Abraham Lincoln, and the Chapter was named in his honor.  The Chapter was instituted on April 14, 1909 by Robert T. Izant, Worthy Grand Patron and with the assistance of the officers of Morning Light Chapter #80 of Warren, Ohio.  The Lakewood Masonic Temple was officially dedicated on September 30, 1916.  Lincoln Chapter merged into Ann Rutledge Chapter on May 6, 1998.

Early in 1927, two members of Cleveland Chapter #139 (Emily Schaflein and Augusta Engle) built interest in formation of a third Eastern Star Chapter in Lakewood.  Their petition to form Lakewood Chapter was sent to the Grand Chapter on March 23, 1927 and sponsored by Gaston G. Allen Lodge #629.  Dispensation was granted, and on May 31, 1927, five officers of the Grand Chapter and the Most Worth Grand Patron (J. Earnest Teare) instituted Lakewood Chapter #509 at Lakewood Masonic Temple with the ritualistic work exemplified by the officers of Lincoln Chapter #309.  The new Chapter met at Gormsen's Hall (18519 Detroit Avenue, now part of the Bonne Bell Complex), the first meeting having been held June 3, 1927 with 45 members present.  The Chapter moved to Lakewood Masonic Temple on November 4, 1929.  The first Worthy Matron of Lakewood Chapter was Stella C. Philpott, wife of Worthy Grand Patron George W. Philpott.  Cleveland Chapter, instituted April 19, 1901 surrendered its charter on September 7, 1996.  Lakewood Chapter merged into Ann Rutledge Chapter on December 12, 1985.


2004-18 The Lakewood Masonic Foundation | Lakewood, Ohio 44107 | +1.216.521.1242 | Webmaster